Tuesday 10 June 2014

The Music This Week: June 15th, 2014

We're into our summer season now, so the adult choir is finished for the year and most weeks we will have soloists or small ensembles.

This week Margaret McKenzie-Leighton is going to sing for us. One of her pieces is accompanied by organ and I thought it had been a little while since we had organ music for preludes and offertories, so I chose to focus on organ music this week.

The piece I am most excited about is a 20th-century piece by Ralph Vaughan Williams. Margaret is going to be singing "Come, My Way, My Truth, My Life." It's very different from anything I've done since I arrived at St. Andrew's. It has a folk-like melody with lush 20th-century harmonies. It won't be to everyone's tastes, but it is a beautiful piece.


No comments:

Post a Comment