Monday 2 November 2015

Music This Week: November 1st, 2015

Something exciting happened this past Sunday; the Youth Band played for the first time and I thought that they did a great job. I am so pleased that this group has emerged at St. Andrew's and that we have youth who are interested in bringing instrumental music to us. I hope everyone is looking forward to future performances by them.

The adult choir sang a piece call "Oh day of peace that dimly shines." It's such a nice tune, possibly familiar to you because it was in Chariots of Fire. It is actually in our hymn book and the congregation will be singing it next week.

The sermon discussed the biblical text that talks about stoning women for sexual activity outside of what society deemed to be acceptable. This verse brought out the feminist in me and I decided that the prelude and postlude for this week should be composed by women. Depending on how closely you've been paying attention, you may have noticed that I always do at least one organ piece, and it is usually the prelude. You may have also noticed that there was no organ piece (besides the hymns) this week. This is because it is really hard to find classical music written by women. There certainly were female composers, but they are few and far between and were generally not present in my (somewhat large) music library. I finally found some stuff online (public domain) by Clara Schumann, a brilliant musician, worth reading up on. She, however, was a pianist and wrote for piano. So, no organ this week, all my organ music was by men. The postlude was an arrangement of The Church is One Foundation by Cindy Berry. This choice was inspired by our Anniversary Sunday last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment